UPDATE as of February 13, 2015 :D
If you’re in Singapore and are free on MARCH 7, 2015:
See those dark purple strands? That is what I look for in a banana bread. Sometimes, the most difficult desserts to find are the simplest ones. Yes there are banana breads around but many of them are too complicated for my taste. They’re either glazed, have fruit, nuts (or all of the above), some reek of too much nutmeg while others are simple dry and uneventful.
It was my first time to make my own banana bread in the kitchen and can I say, I think I got lucky with the recipe! I took this photo when I pulled the pan out of the oven. I just couldn’t wait. After letting it set overnight, the banana bread now cuts into neat, moist slices. Best of all, I could have sworn, the bread darkened a tad bit (no kidding), which is just the way I imagined it to look from the start :)
Liz , here’s the recipe! Let me know how it goes :)
MOIST BANANA BREAD RECIPE
1. Cream 1/2c butter and 1c. granulated sugar.
2. Add 3 eggs one at a time into your mixer. Then, throw in 1 tsp vanilla.
3. Next, add 1 2/3c. of all-purpose flour, 1 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt.
4. Finally, add 1c. mashed ripe bananas and 1/2c sour cream.
5. Grease your pan then line it with baking paper. Then comes the tricky part, and I apologize already at this point. ” Tricky” because I was trying different settings while the batter was in the oven.
I puttered around 300-350F, for around 50-70 minutes. Because different ovens tend to differ in heat distribution, check if your cake is done is not really by relying 100% on the recipe but testing the cake with a wire or a fine skewer. Make sure you pull out a clean stick out of the cake.
When ready, pull it out of the oven and let it cool on a wire rack. When it’s cool enough to handle, remove it from the pan and let it cool more. This took me around 30mins to 1 hour.
It will initially feel crusty on top and I was slightly disappointed at the start. However, I let this rest overnight covered in cling wrap and the top turned out moist and SUPER soft! What a lovely surprise to wake up to!
For those who want nuts on their cake, peace of mind and a more accurate recipe, here is the original recipe :D
Let me know how this goes. Good luck and bon appetit!